Sunday, May 15, 2016

TKDAA 2016: Appliqué Heaven!!


"Gypsy Roses" was a main conference class at TKDAA 2016.

I’m more than a little late posting an entry about The Kathy Dunigan Appliqué Academy but that’s how things have been for the past year.  Moving, it turns out, is time consuming, distracting, and energizing all at the same time.

TKDAA2016 was a fabulous time as usual.  The women in both my classes were an absolute delight! I hope they enjoyed the class as much as I enjoyed them.  In the two-day class, we worked on a classic acorn wreath with a center of dogwoods and a hummingbird.  Yes, I’ve mixed my seasons but I’m partial to stitching things I love.  Here are the lovely ladies who took the acorn wreath class.

The main conference class was a “beyond Baltimore” wreath of roses.  Again, I was fortunate to have a room full of wonderful women eager to stitch.

The highlight of the class was the dragonfly, which was stitched in hand-dyed silk organza and embellished with embroidery and beads.
  

Everyone accomplished this beautifully as you can see in their blocks in progress.  I’m hoping to see some finished blocks soon.  The many, many French knots for the Queen Anne’s lace may be slowing progress.  You can’t imagine the happy dance I did when I stitched the last one! 

Kathy Dunigan and Joann Hudgins, the owners of TKDAA, did a lovely job of making everyone feel welcome in the festive atmosphere they create.  Once again, a huge thank you to my friend, Barbara Carper, who came all the way to Dallas to assist me.  Honestly, I couldn’t do it without her. 

One of the highlights of TKDAA 2016 was the shopping and there was plenty of that!  But a great shopping experience happened online during class when I noticed a student’s sewing case.  It is actually a make up case built for professionals who have to haul around twenty different kinds of mascara, eye shadow and lipsticks.  It has stacking divided layers and wheels!  


We called it the “Joni” after its owner.  There were important color decisions made followed by some fast and furious Amazon ordering.  For some students, the “Joni” was going to beat them home.  For me, the “Joni” is an amazing discovery.  We spend four months a year in a Florida rental where I do not have a sewing space.  The “Joni” is my portable sewing room.  It was love at first sight.  For those of you who fall in love with "Joni," here's the link.  She's a little pricey but so worth it!  Alas, Amazon is not sending me a cut of the sales from this blog.


The pre-registration period for TKDAA 2017 begins today when the web site goes live.  Regular registration begins June 1st.  Give yourself a wonderful experience this year and plan to attend.  You’ll go home energized, inspired and exhausted in a good way  after a week of fun and appliqué immersion!!
The amazing Stella.

No comments:

Post a Comment