Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Surpise!




I got a real surprise on Wednesday night!  My quilt, "Love's Horizon," won two ribbons at the National Quilting Association's show in Columbus, Ohio:  a first place in the duet category (it was beautifully quilted by Anita Shackelford) and a special recognition award, "Traditional: Remarkable Achievement in Classic Patterning."  I wasn't there, but Anita Shackelford sent this photo of the quilt at preview night.  It was very exciting!  I made this quilt for my niece, Emerson, and the clipper ship bears her name.  She was very excited too.  

The NQA Show is a non-juried show.  They accept the first four hundred entries received by the deadline and all are judged.  The Best of Show , Best Machine Quilting, and Exemplary Appliqué ribbons all went to Sharon Schamber's quilt, "Once Upon a Time."  I've seen her quilt in person and it is truly extraordinary, as is everything she does.

So that's my big adventure in entering a quilt show.  It's only the second time I've done it;  the first time was in a local guild show.  It is not for the faint of heart, especially the packing and mailing part of the process.  Now I just have to wait patiently for my quilt to get safely home to me.
Quilting by Anita Shackelford;  Pattern by Elly Sienkiewicz.


1 comment: